Sunday, August 16, 2009

Carole King is not dead (but that's why it's Crapapedia)

I'm sitting out by the pool with the laptop and starting to go through all the e-mails when the 'news' comes in that Carole King is dead.

She's not dead. I read the two e-mails from community members who were very upset and I was upset as well and thinking I'd been on the phone with a mutual friend earlier and the industry gossip before that and neither had said a word. I call the industry gossip and ask how did Carole die? He laughs and asks if I've had a 'dream' because Carole's not dead, it would be all over the TV. (I haven't turned on the TV today.)

Where did I hear that?

I'm looking at the links in the e-mail and it's the same one in both, Crapapedia.

Crapapedia

That's exactly why Ava and I call it Crapapedia. If you see something there, before assuming it's true, look around. (I'm not scolding the community members. If I visited Crapapedia and saw that on my own, I still would have had a brief panic myself before I attempted to find out if it was true.)

Carole King is alive.

We hunt around and find out that the change was made by someone in Valdosta, Georgia (using Mediacom Communications Corp as the provider).


Most likely recent verbal sneers at Republicans by Carole resulted in the 'need' on the part of someone to create the 'news' that she 'died.' (Surprising sneers considering her fourth husband would have been hollering the same way Republicans are because he was a libertarian.)

We were listening to Writer out here -- which especially had me thinking it was true when I read the e-mail in a "Oh, my goodness what a coincidence! We were listening to Carole as the news came in!" kind of way -- because Jim was harassing/teasing me about that bad book (you know the one, so bad it could have been published by Crapapedia) which says Carole and Gerry Goffin wrote "I Can't Hear You No More" and "No Easy Way Down" for Carole's solo 1970 album. Again, that book is nothing but the 'writer' taking Rolling Stone's Random Notes and attempting to tease it into a book. I told Jim that "No Easy Way Down" appears on 1969's Dusty in Memphis (Dusty Springfield's classic album) so it's a little hard for it to be written for Carole's 1970 release and the same Dusty Springfield recorded "I Can't Hear You No More" in 1966 (and Betty Everett recorded it in 1964). Which makes it a little hard for Carole and Gerry to have written that song in 1970 for her album Writer. And going over all of that led to bringing the mentioned discs (plus Maria McKee's You've Gotta Sin To Get Saved) out here.

That book is nothing but lies, errors and mistakes. It even passes off "Tonight And Forever" as "Now And Forever" and no one called that s**t out either. That book is so offensive, it reduces women's art to gossip and it can't even get the basic facts correct. It can't get a song title right, it can't get a recording release correct, it's garbage. I've picked that book up once, when Elaine handed it to me while we were flying to Puerto Rico (ahead of the 2008 primary) and my response was correct, I read a page and a half and threw it across the cabin. That books is pure crap and the only thing worse than that book are the 'critics' who praised it and demonstrated how stupid and uninformed they truly are.

Reducing women artists' work to nothing but gossip should have led to objections but maybe they were so titillated that they didn't notice that? They damn sure should have noticed that the writer couldn't get any facts correct. And it's now in soft cover with no corrections.

If you can't tell, were this audio, you'd hear me screaming the above. Which is why Jim likes to follow me around with that book, with his, "Let me just read one page to you . . ." And that's really all it seems to take because each page seems to have a dozen errors with at least one being a huge glaring one. And yet that garbage got praised.

And was a best seller and is now in soft cover passing on lies and inaccuracies to future readers.

To summarize, Carole King is not dead and Crapapedia, like the book we will not name, is garbage. The book people called "Both scholarly and dishy." Scholarly? Have standards of scholarship truly sunk that low?

Added, Jim asked that "Reconsidering Carole King's 'failed' albums" (Third) be noted where we examined Touch The Sky and Welcome Home.

Carole King

ADDED II at 10:20 p.m., 8-16-09: A friend at Simon & Schuster just called to 'correct' me.

Carole King did record a song entitled "Now & Forever."

No f**king s**t.

Carole recorded that song for the film A League of Their Own and it later appeared on her album Colour of Your Dreams.

However, the book states that Carole and Carly Simon both recorded songs entitled "Now & Forever."

Tell me, what do Simon & Schuster fact checkers do all day? Sit on their asses day dreaming? (S&S published the piece of garbage book.)

They didn't have to listen to Carly's Spoiled Girl album (1985). Their loss if they didn't. But it only takes a second to check the track listing.

"Tonight And Forever."

When a book makes a big deal about two artists both recording a song with the same title around the same approximate time, the two songs need to have the same title.

To stay with Spoiled Girl, when the piece of garbage book claims that "My New Boyfriend" and "The Wives Are in Connecticut" are the only songs on the 1985 album "that Carly solely wrote," those need to be the only songs that she "solely wrote." Simon & Schuster meet "Make Me Feel Something," a song on Spoiled Girl that Carly wrote by herself (she co-wrote all the other tracks except for "Tired of Being Blonde").

These aren't minor errors and they occur on every damn page. Anything the author 'discusses' falls apart to anyone who knows the basics. It it a hideous book, filled with errors, lies and what a court just might decide was libel. Instead of 'correcting' me, work on correcting a book that's appeared in hardcover and now soft cover without ever passing the most basic of fact check.

The e-mail address for this site is common_ills@yahoo.com.