Sunday, March 15, 2020

Talking entry

We're easing into this one slowly.  Little went up today, sorry.  Dona and I spent most of the day working on this week and next week's schedule.  We'll be speaking via video link ups.  Due to coronavirus.  We'll be staying home and using technology to interact.  That required a lot of work -- most of which Dona had already done (thank you, Dona). 

Equally true, Saturday night, I planned to post more but ended up on the phone with a friend and then ended up going to sleep.  I slept 14 hours, I'm not joking.  This is the first time we've been home since the first full week of January.  I caught a cold in New Hampshire (in January) that I still haven't been able to fully shake. 

When I woke up, I worked out and then grilled some squash and made a salad for Dona and I to munch on while we figured out the schedules for the next two weeks.  After we finished that, I went over doctor's appointments -- everything's been on hold and I especially need to see my ophthalmologist due to the diabetes. 

Ava and I just finished our media piece for THIRD.  We're tackling a number of issues including a small cocked actor who's being a blowhard online and attacking Bernie supporters.  Tiny cock has no real career and only had one because people mistook him for another actor -- it's in the piece which hopefully will go up shortly.  I don't know what the status is on the other pieces.

Let's do some house cleaning.

First, I've always begged indulgence on spelling if I type the piece (the snapshots are dictated) due to dyslexia.  I'm seeing my eye doctor because one eye is completely gone vision wise -- it's all blurs -- and the other eye is not perfect to put it mildly.  It's hard to see the screen so my apologies for typos.

Second, why aren't we noting Twitter feeds?

I like noting them.  I like having different perspectives up here.  Twitter has changed their layout.  Now you see huge black gaps and sometimes those gaps cover the actual Tweets when I post them here.  David Sirota's Tweets today I had to put in one by one to avoid that.  I don't have that kind of time.  (I also had to stop using Google Chrome to pull up the Tweets and instead use Internet Explorer -- for anyone else who's having trouble getting the Tweets up in Blogger/Blogspot.  It also helps if you pull the Tweet up individually to copy it and not just copy it off the Twitter feed page with the other Tweets.)

Third, I'm probably going to be catching on some sleep.  I'm noting that because my being home during the week for the immediate future (for the first time since February 2002) is not going to mean more up here.  I am tired and I'm exhausted.  I will maintain whatever we usually do but if there is more downtime as a result of being home, I'm probably going to spend it sleeping (first and foremost, sleeping) and secondly catching up with everyone I rarely am able to otherwise.  But sleep is what I want most of all. If Jim says they're tired and they don't want to finish THIRD tonight, if he says that when I finish this entry, I'm fine with that.  Let it wait until Monday and let me go to sleep.  I've lived on four hours of sleep a night for weeks now and just want to crash.

Courtney Kube (NBC NEWS) reports:

The U.S. military is planning to reposition hundreds of troops in Iraq, including moving some out of the country, according to three U.S. defense officials.
The consolidation of forces will include removing U.S. troops from joint bases at al-Qaim near the Syrian border, Qayyarah Airfield West near Mosul and possibly K-1 Air Base in Kirkuk.


Reposition, not remove.  Remove is what needs to happen.  And some US troops are going in.  ALMASDAR NEWS notes:

The U.S. military has sent one of their primary ground assault forces to Iraq, following an attack on their troops at the Taji Base last week, an Iraqi military source told Sputnik Arabic on Saturday.
According to the source, who requested anonymity from inside a prominent air base in Iraq, the personnel of the U.S. 101st Airborne Division will arrive at the base soon.
The source added that the U.S. Marine Corps are already present at the air base that the 101st Division is deploying to.

And Jason Ditz (ANTIWAR.COM) reports:

After multiple US airstrikes in Iraq over the course of the past week, Iraq’s Foreign Ministry says they will submit a formal complaint to the UN Security Council about ongoing US aggression, and violation of Iraqi sovereignty.

Blaming Iraqi Shi’ite militias for rockets fired at US troops, the US attacked at least five bases, The US presents the attacks as retaliation against “Iran-backed” militias, but in practice these militias are part of Iraq’s security forces.

Attacking Iraqi security forces on Iraqi soil is problematic, even if the US sees it as justified. Iraqi officials are warning that the strikes are further destabilizing the situation, and Iraq can’t exactly afford that after months of anti-government protests. 



Again, US troops need to leave Iraq.  They're propping up a government that has no popular support and that is terrorizing the Iraqi people.