The father of an airman, who was killed in Iraq last week has called on Prime Minister Gordon Brown to start withdrawing British troops.
College lecturer Robert McFerran, from Flintshire, spoke before travelling to RAF Lyneham, where the body of his son Peter, 24, will return on Wednesday.
The senior aircraftman died with two colleagues in a mortar attack in Basra.
A Downing Street spokesman said some forces had already been withdrawn but their presence was still needed.
But Mr McFerran, who spent 10 years in the RAF himself, said: "I think it about time Mr Brown started to bring the troops home."
The above, noted by Polly, is from the BBC's "Leave Iraq, urges airman's father." Opinion shifted on the illegal war in 2005, it's now hardened. The New York Times can lie (it was never just Judith Miller) in their laughable polling report today (see previous entry) but the war is lost and the people grasp that -- in the US, in England, across the world. While McFerran calls for an end, War Pornographer Michael Gordon (New York Times) writes of the US military's
Joint Campaign Plan which plans for the next two years of illegal war in Iraq.
Two years? String it along, string it along, and pretty soon the 'cakewalk' will be lasting a decade. Before we get to some of the violence today in Iraq, let's note this from Australia's Herald Sun:
A separate car bomb rocked an area near Baghdad's so-called Green Zone, a US-controlled part of the war-torn capital, killing one person and wounding another three.
The fabled Green Zone, the city within a city. A source for tension in Iraq among Iraqis and in the US for those who've bothered to follow it, is the alleged "embassy." With more on that, this is from Alexandra Zavis' "New U.S. Embassy rises in Iraq" (Los Angeles Times):
Huge, expensive and dogged by controversy, the new U.S. Embassy compound nearing completion here epitomizes to many Iraqis the worst of the U.S. tenure in Iraq.
"It's all for them, all of Iraq's resources, water, electricity, security," said Raid Kadhim Kareem, who has watched the buildings go up at a floodlighted site bristling with construction cranes from his post guarding an abandoned home on the other side of the Tigris River. "It's as if it's their country, and we are guests staying here."
Despite its brash scale and nearly $600-million cost, the compound designed to accommodate more than 1,000 people is not big enough, and may not be safe enough if a major military pullout leaves the country engulfed in a heightened civil war, U.S. planners now say.
Militants have fired shells into the compound in the fortified Green Zone, where more than 85 rocket and mortar strikes have killed at least 16 people since February, according to a United Nations report last month. Five more people died in fierce barrages this month.
And already today, Reuters reports, at least 22 are dead in Hilla with approximately 66 wounded from a car bombing.
The e-mail address for this site is email@example.com.
los angeles times
the new york times