Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Evan Bayh gives a speech, people don't listen

We're going to start with Evan Bayh because a number of drive-bys are in the e-mails including people sending some idiotic post by "Blue Texan" posted at some website. Evan Bayh announced he wouldn't run for re-election. Those squealing like happy little pigs -- no surprise -- have no idea what they're talking about. As a member of the Democratic Policy Committee and as a member of the US Senate, Evan Bayh was one of the leaders on the burn pits issue (the other, also not running for re-election, was Byron Dorgan who Chaired the DPC). Bayh, as we've noted many, many times, has a needed bill buried in the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee -- buried since October. I was surprised by Dorgan's decision not to run. I wasn't by Bayh's decision. But I am surprised by the nonsense drive-bys are sending. This Blue Texan?

He or she is a lot like the idiot who watched Jon Stewart on CNN's Crossfire and exclaimed, "He told off Tucker Carlson!" Uh, no. Jon told off Carlson and James Carville. That was the whole point of Jon Stewart's appearance. Talk about hearing what you want to hear. We'll note Evan's entire speech at the end but we're going to zoom in on one point because a number of pieces online (or the ones being e-mailed to the public account) are like Blue Texan's which can be summarized as, "He says the Republicans won't play fair and work bipartisanly! And his answer is to step down!"

No, that's not what he said at all. From the speech:

In the Senate, I have continued to fight for the best interests of our state. I have worked with Hoosier workers and businesses, large and small, in the defense sector, the life sciences, the medical device industry, autos, steel, recreational vehicle manufacturing, and many, many more, to save and create jobs.
Since 9/11, I have fought to make our nation safe with a national security approach that is both tough and smart. I have championed the cause of our soldiers to make sure they have the equipment they need in battle and the health care they deserve when they get home.
I have often been a lonely voice for balancing the budget and restraining spending. I have worked with Democrats, Republicans, and Independents alike to do the nation’s business in a way that is civil and constructive.
I am fortunate to have good friends on both sides of the aisle, something that is much too rare in Washington today.
After all these years, my passion for service to my fellow citizens is undiminished, but my desire to do so by serving in Congress has waned. For some time, I have had a growing conviction that Congress is not operating as it should. There is too much partisanship and not enough progress -- too much narrow ideology and not enough practical problem-solving. Even at a time of enormous challenge, the peoples’ business is not being done.
Examples of this are legion, but two recent ones will suffice.
Two weeks ago, the Senate voted down a bipartisan commission to deal with one of the greatest threats facing our nation: our exploding deficits and debt. The measure would have passed, but seven members who had endorsed the idea instead voted “no” for short-term political reasons.
Just last week, a major piece of legislation to create jobs -- the public’s top priority -- fell apart amid complaints from both the left and right.
All of this and much more has led me to believe that there are better ways to serve my fellow citizens, my beloved state, and our nation than continued service in Congress.
To put it in words most people can understand: I love working for the people of Indiana, I love helping our citizens make the most of their lives, but I do not love Congress. I will not, therefore, be a candidate for election to the Senate this November.


I like Evan and think he has been a strong advocate for veterans. I do not always agree with him and that bipartisan commission needed to be voted down (it existed solely to further reduce the safety net: Social Security primarily). On that Harry Reid, a Democrat, voted against the commission that Evan favored. Then we have the jobs legislation and he clearly states it "fell apart amid complaints from both the left and right." Again, Harry Reid voted that one down. (I didn't follow that one closely enough to have an opinion on anyone's vote.)

Some people watched Jon Stewart go on Crossfire and walked away with, "He called out Tucker!" Some people watch or read Evan's speech and walk away with, "He let Republicans have it!" They may be pleasuring themselves but they aren't paying attention. That speech is not calling out one side of the partisan divide.

As someone who attended the DPC hearings into the abuses of KBR including the burn pits which put the service members and the contractors at risk, I will note that Evan Bayh was a strong voice on that committee and did some outstanding work. Like Byron Dorgan, he will be missed. I don't really see that anyone can replace the two of them. Daniel Akaka needs to step down as chair of the Veterans Affair Committee. I know him and I've known him for years. I even like him. But at a time of war, at a time when veterans numbers increase at a huge rate and when so many issues are not being dealt with, the Senate committee needs a chair who will work. Akaka's dabbling. There is too much legislation not proposed or bottled up in the Committee. Those dancing steps of joy (who apparently are unaware that the Dem leadership choice for who would run for Evan's seat is an anti-choicer) might want to stop a moment and ask themselves what they really know. If it's what they 'heard,' as we've already established, they have hearing problems.

On the topic of veterans, UPI notes San Francisco Veteran Affairs Medical Center's Dr. Karen Seal that despite increased diagnoses of PTSD, "fewer than 10 percent of newly diagnosed veterans completed the full course of 10-12 week PTSD treatment recommend."

The Chicagoist notes Chicago Mayor Richard Daley's speech about the peace movement (see Thursday's snapshot)

It’s well known the anti-war movement has always taken figurative beatings in the last decade, as pundits and politicians all over the country equated dissent against war unpatriotic and branded protesters of any stripe anti-American. As to why people aren’t on the streets en masse frequently these days, it may have something to do with no gains being made by the movement. Though we've heard plenty of rhetoric about leaving Iraq, the time table consistently shifts. We're escalating the war in Afghanistan and though Obama has toned down the saber rattling, he has escalated drone attacks in Pakistan and Yemen. With an administration that shows no interest in ending the war and local and federal authorities spending time and money cracking down on dissent at home, it's hard to wonder why people aren't in the streets - but it's also not surprising.

Jimmy notes Law and Disorder's latest episode features John Ehrenberg who is one of the authors of The Iraq Papers. Law & Disorder airs on WBAI -- and other radio stations. I didn't catch it yesterday. But last week, last Monday, was their two hour fundraiser and Ehrenberg joined them in the studio. Because WBAI is in pledge mode, you may need to visit the website or catch this week's broadcast on whatever station you normally hear Law & Disorder on. Michael Ratner, Heidi Boghosian and Michael Smith host the hour long, weekly examination of the Constitution and other legal issues -- all the hosts are attorneys.

Closing with "Bayh Announces He Will Not Seek a Third Senate Term:"


Indianapolis – Senator Evan Bayh announced today he will not seek a third term to the United States Senate. At a news conference at Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI), he reflected on nearly a quarter-century of public service as Indiana’s Secretary of State, a two-term Governor, and a two-term United States Senator.

* * *

Thank you all for coming today. I know how busy you are, and I appreciate you taking the time to be with us. I would like to begin by acknowledging some people to whom I owe a great debt of gratitude.
First, my wife Susan, who for 25 years has stood by my side and without whose love and support so much I have been privileged to do would never have been possible. As my father told me the day we were married: "Son, you definitely married up."
Second, my wonderful children, Beau and Nick, who I love so much and of whom I am so proud. Being their father is the most important job I will ever have.
Next, my staff members -- past and present -- who have worked so hard and sacrificed so much for the people of our state. There is not one that couldn’t have made more money and worked fewer hours doing something else. They have always managed to make me look much better than I deserve.
Most importantly, the people of Indiana, who for almost a quarter century have placed their trust and welfare in my hands. No one could ask for a better boss or a greater honor.
I was raised in a family that believes public service is the highest calling in the church, that what matters is not what you take from life, but what you give back. I believe that still.
For almost all of my adult life, I have been privileged to serve the people of Indiana in elective office.
As Secretary of State, I worked to reform our election laws to ensure that every vote counts. I cast the deciding vote in the closest congressional race in the nation for a member of the other political party, because I believed he had legitimately won the election.
As Governor, I worked with an outstanding team to balance the budget, cut taxes, leave the largest surplus in state history, create the most new jobs in any eight-year period, increase funding for schools every year, make college more affordable, and reform welfare to empha work. We raised water quality standards, created more new state parks than any time since the 1930s, and raised the penalties for violent crime.
In the Senate, I have continued to fight for the best interests of our state. I have worked with Hoosier workers and businesses, large and small, in the defense sector, the life sciences, the medical device industry, autos, steel, recreational vehicle manufacturing, and many, many more, to save and create jobs.
Since 9/11, I have fought to make our nation safe with a national security approach that is both tough and smart. I have championed the cause of our soldiers to make sure they have the equipment they need in battle and the health care they deserve when they get home.
I have often been a lonely voice for balancing the budget and restraining spending. I have worked with Democrats, Republicans, and Independents alike to do the nation’s business in a way that is civil and constructive.
I am fortunate to have good friends on both sides of the aisle, something that is much too rare in Washington today.
After all these years, my passion for service to my fellow citizens is undiminished, but my desire to do so by serving in Congress has waned. For some time, I have had a growing conviction that Congress is not operating as it should. There is too much partisanship and not enough progress -- too much narrow ideology and not enough practical problem-solving. Even at a time of enormous challenge, the peoples’ business is not being done.
Examples of this are legion, but two recent ones will suffice.
Two weeks ago, the Senate voted down a bipartisan commission to deal with one of the greatest threats facing our nation: our exploding deficits and debt. The measure would have passed, but seven members who had endorsed the idea instead voted “no” for short-term political reasons.
Just last week, a major piece of legislation to create jobs -- the public’s top priority -- fell apart amid complaints from both the left and right.
All of this and much more has led me to believe that there are better ways to serve my fellow citizens, my beloved state, and our nation than continued service in Congress.
To put it in words most people can understand: I love working for the people of Indiana, I love helping our citizens make the most of their lives, but I do not love Congress. I will not, therefore, be a candidate for election to the Senate this November.
My decision should not be interpreted for more than it is: a very difficult, deeply personal one. I am an executive at heart. I value my independence. I am not motivated by strident partisanship or ideology. These traits may be useful in many walks of life, but they are not highly valued in Congress.
My decision should not reflect adversely upon my colleagues who continue to serve in the Senate. While the institution is in need of significant reform, there are many wonderful people there. The public would be surprised and pleased to know that those who serve them in the Senate, despite their policy and political differences, are unfailingly hard-working and devoted to the public good as they see it. I will miss them.
I particularly value my relationship with Senator Dick Lugar and have often felt that if all Senators could have the cooperative relationship we enjoy, the institution would be a better place.
My decision should not reflect adversely upon the President. I look forward to working with him during the next 11 months to get our deficit under control, get the economy moving again, regulate Wall Street to avoid future financial crises, and reform education so that all children can fulfill their God-given potential. This is the right agenda for America.
My decision was not motivated by political concern. Even in the current challenging environment, I am confident in my prospects for re-election. Five times over the last 24 years, I have been honored by the people of Indiana with electoral success. But running for the sake of winning an election, just to remain in public office, is not good enough. And it has never been what motivates me.
At this time, I simply believe I can best contribute to society in another way: creating jobs by helping grow a business, helping guide an institution of higher learning, or helping run a worthy charitable endeavor.
In closing, let me say this: Words cannot convey nor can I adequately express my gratitude to the great people of Indiana.
I will never forget those I have been privileged to serve and those who have so kindly supported me. I have always tried to remember that my job is to work for Hoosiers, not the other way around.
I am constantly reminded that if Washington, D.C., could be more like Indiana, Washington would be a better place.
Lastly, let me reiterate my deep and abiding love for our nation and my optimism for our future. These are difficult times for America. But we have seen difficult days before, and we will see better days again. With all our faults, we are an exceptional people.
I look forward to continuing to do my part to meet the challenges we face as a private citizen, to work for solutions not slogans, progress not politics, so that our generation can do what Americans have always done: convey to our children, and our children's children, an America that is stronger, more prosperous, more decent, and more just.
Thank you again. May God bless you all.


The e-mail address for this site is common_ills@yahoo.com.