Thursday, August 26, 2010

I Hate The War

CBS' Lauren Seifert (link has text and video) reports that Michael O'Hanlon spoke with Bob Schieffer on CBS' webshot Washington Unplugged today and O'Hanlon was asked about Barack's planned speech (scheduled for August 31st) and whether now was the time for that? O'Hanlon replied:

To be honest with you, I'm confused. I think it could actually work badly for him if he's not careful and I'm not convinced that the idea of taking credit at a moment when Iraq is in such peril is smart.


The Brookings Institution spokesperson may be correct on this one. Joe Biden gave a speech Monday and it's a good thing the US has a soft and mushy press or he'd be raked over the coals for his claims which have been demonstrated by real life events this week to be false. Barack's going to follow that with one of his 'big' speeches. A lot of pretty lies and a lot of "I"s? The man who can never stop talking about himself will add Iraq to the mix and it's not going to end up painful for the glory hog?

It doesn't appear that it could end pretty. Sam Dagher's latest is "Iraqis Face Uncertain Future" and that's a reality that's really difficult to spin. Many commentators and gas bags thought Barack's speech to the Disabled Veterans of American earlier this month walked right up to the line but managed to avoid Bush's "Mission Accomplished" nonsense. And now the White House is going to risk putting him in front of an audience to speak about the war?

It'll certainly be something to watch. It won't be factual -- neither he nor Joe has spoken factually on Iraq this month -- but it has all the makings of a train wreck.

Having continued the illegal war instead of ending it, maybe a train wreck is just what Barack deserves right about now.





It's over, I'm done writing songs about love
There's a war going on
So I'm holding my gun with a strap and a glove
And I'm writing a song about war
And it goes
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Oh oh oh oh
-- "I Hate The War" (written by Greg Goldberg, on The Ballet's Mattachine!)

Last week, ICCC's number of US troops killed in Iraq since the start of the illegal war was 4415. Tonight it's 4416.



The e-mail address for this site is common_ills@yahoo.com.