Sunday, July 14, 2013

Hejira

Another day of record violence in Iraq.  National Iraqi News Agency reports a Baghdad bombing claimed 2 lives and left ten people dead, a Mosayab suicide bombing claimed 12 lives and left twenty-five people injured, 2 Kirkuk attacks left 1 military officer and 2 soldiers dead, 2 Basra bombings left 7 people dead and six more injured, 2 Nasiriya bombings left 1 person dead and twenty-five injured, a Karbala bombing claimed 4 lives and left nineteen people injured, a Kut bombing claimed 4 lives and left thirty-two injured, northeast of Hilla a police officer and a military officer were injured by two car bombings, an armed attack outside of Tikrit left 1 Sahwa dead and four more injured, 2 people were shot dead in Falluja, a Mosul roadside bombing killed 2 police officers, and a Falluja armed attack claimed the life of 1 military officer and left two of his bodyguards injured.




I'm issuing an apology for today and last night's content.  It's lousy and my apologies.

If it were lousy because I was sick, well that's life and it happens.

I am not saying this site will be around in the summer of 2014.  If it is, I will not be participating in the summer read fiction edition at Third.

So much time has been wasted on that and we're still not done.

I've never enjoyed those writing sessions (summer read) and each year has gotten worse.

In fact, I'm stopping.  I'm taking that to Third so we'll have a piece that sort of fits and be closer to being done with the edition.  I'm not joking.


Going over the violence, I was about to write about an aspect of it but said, "Oh, we've got our editorial at Third!"  And we do because I'm carrying the topic over.


I want to be done, I want to go to bed.

To be clear, the problem is not this person or that person. The problem is you can't do fiction by ten or 12 people.  It's like development hell on a script.  It changes a little and then a lot and then no one's happy.

So this will be my last summer edition with Third.  If they do one next summer and this site is still around, I'll do the TV piece with Ava and nothing else.  There's just not enough time.  And that will actually help Third because the problem is too many cooks.

I'll save the bulk of that for Third.  This entry covered violence in Iraq.  That's all it covered.  That's pretty much true of yesterday.  Again, my apologies.  If it helps any, I've had about two hours sleep and I'm ready to scream.  (This is an argument about the process, not about any of the people involved.)





I'm traveling in some vehicle
I'm sitting in some cafe
A defector from the petty wars
That shell shock love away
-- "Hejira," written by Joni Mitchell, first appears on her album of the same name

 The number of US service members the Dept of Defense states died in the Iraq War is [PDF format warning] 4488.


Don't expect a comic from Isaiah today or tomorrow.  He's been working on Third forever as well.

 The e-mail address for this site is common_ills@yahoo.com.