I can be the razor in your hat
You can be the blade that’s got my back
And when the good old darkness comes
I will keep you safe within my arms, oh
'Cause you
You are my constant companion
You know it's true
Those silhouettes seen drifting through the canyon
Four guns hang on the sides of two white stallions
Let's ride into the sun and watch it burn, burn, burn, burn, burn
Burn, burn, burn, burn, burn
Burn, burn, burn, burn, burn
"Constant Companion" is the tenth track on the collection and the album's latest single. Sam's back and singing about all that's holy which, of course, means love.
As "Thief" makes clear, a lot of creative energy went into the project. Listen to the music of the song, listen to the vocals, listen to the words. Sam's digging deep.
'Cause all this time I've been asleep
You've been dancing with deceit
Lost in another world
But I have chosen to forgive
And if the fool in you forgets
I'll take my love back like a thief, like a thief
You've been dancing with deceit
Lost in another world
But I have chosen to forgive
And if the fool in you forgets
I'll take my love back like a thief, like a thief
"Love Is A Stillness" is another song that pulls you in. In fact, all twelve tracks pull you in. It's a romantic album which we used to get quite often but not so much these days. Torch songs used to be all the rage and Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Sarah Vaughan and so many others used to make albums -- song cycles -- about yearning. For the last few decades, Sade's kept the genre alive. But it often does seem that she's the only one doing so.
With HAZEL EYES, Sam Smith makes clear that there's another artist concerned with the human heart and willing to explore it. Skip the album if you're too jaded but if you're looking for some music to get busy to or to cry to or to reflect with, HAZEL EYES is an album you're going to love.