Saturday, January 07, 2006

"A time comes when silence is a betrayal" (MLK)

We're on a brief break from working on the latest edition of The Third Estate Sunday Review.

Cedric just noted something by MLK and that reminded me that he hasn't been noted today here at this site. Doug was hoping that we'd make a point to note him each day leading up to January 16th (MLK Day). If you did note him in an e-mail, my apologies, because no one was able to get into the accounts.

So to note him for Saturday before it becomes Sunday, we'll note an excerpt from the speech he gave at the Riverside Church in NYC on April 4, 1967:

I come to this magnificent house of worship tonight because my conscience leaves me no other choice. "A time comes when silence is betrayal." That time has come for us in relation to Vietnam.
[. . .]
Somehow this madness must cease. We must stop now. I speak as a child of God and brother to the suffering poor of Vietnam. I speak for those whose land is being laid waste, whose homes are being destroyed, whose culture is being subverted. I speak for the poor of America who are paying the double price of smashed hopes at home and death and corruption in Vietnam. I speak as a citizen of the world, for the world as it stands aghast at the path we have taken. I speak as one who loves America, to the leaders of our nation: The great initiative in this war is ours, the initiative to stop is must be ours.

True then. True today.

Other things to note. Ruth's entry will go up tomorrow (or later today depending upon the time when you read it). It's not going through. I assume it's in the accounts that can't be accessed; however, Ruth repeatedly sent it to my friend and it didn't show up. If it comes to it, Ruth's going to dictate it to me over the phone. (Though hopefully the e-mail issues will be resolved by tomorrow morning.) Maria's entry will go up in the early Sunday morning hours.

Lastly, but not leastly, community member Trina (also known to some as Mike's mother) has started her own site, Trina's Kitchen. Please make a point to visit Trina's Kitchen.

Oh, thanks to Kat for doing the entry on Laura Flanders today.

The e-mail address for this site is common_ills@yahoo.com. (And members please use the backup e-mail address from the gina & krista round-robin until there's a note that the other two accounts are working.)