Saturday, July 19, 2008

James Burmeister

Instrutive perhaps is a sentence handed down to a soldier from Eugene. Private Firt classJames Burmeister fled to Canada while on leave from his unit in Iraq He got six months in jail after returning voluntarily to face punishment.

The above is from Tom Banse's "Army Deserter From Boise To Face Music at Fort Carson" (OPB) -- link has text and audio, the above is from the audio. From Chris Kenning's "Soldier pleads guilty to leaving unit in Iraq: Left Iraq to protest tactic, fled to Canada" (Courier-Journal) which ran Thursday: "Yesterday, four months after turning himself in, Burmeister pleaded guilty to being AWOL at a court-martial at Fort Knox where a military judge sentenced him to six months in jail, a loss of pay, reduction to private and a bad-conduct discharge that will deny him Army benefits." Rachael McDonald's "Oregon Soldier Gets Six Months Jail Times for Going AWOL" (OPB):

Helen Burmeister: "I'm very disappointed in the way they feel they can treat veterans of war. I think the reason my son went AWOL was for a good reason. I don’t think he deserved the punishment he got."
Helen Burmeister says she’s unsure whether to appeal the ruling because it could prolong James’s stay in jail.

Mark Larabee's "Soldiers still go over the hill even in an all-volunteer Army" (The Oregonian) broke the news of the kill teams (broke the news domestically) July 16, 2007 and for those late to the story, that's a good place to start. AP ran another article yesterday.

We saw the usual silence on Burmeister unfold and the small number of people and outlets actually interested in the news (and this is news). As usual, one person steps up to the bat.
Dee Knight's "Army court-martials resister for blowing whistle on 'bait-and-kill'" (Workers World):

Private First Class James Burmeister faces a Special Court Martial at Fort Knox on July 16. The charges are AWOL and desertion. He returned to Fort Knox voluntarily in March, after living 10 months in Canada with his spouse and infant child. He refused redeployment to Iraq while on leave in May 2007.

In most such cases at Fort Knox, the Army has in recent years quietly dismissed the resister with a less than honorable discharge "for the good of the military." This time it's different. The brass "offered" Burmeister a year in military prison and a dishonorable discharge if he agreed to plead guilty.
Burmeister refused the offer. His father, Erich, says the Army is making an example of James for denouncing a secret "bait-and-switch" program he was forced to participate in while in Iraq. In media interviews last year in Canada, James described the program as a war crime he was forced to commit. Shortly afterward, the program's details came out in the Washington Post.
"Baiting is putting an object out there that we know they will use, with the intention of destroying the enemy," the Post quoted Capt. Matthew Didier, leader of an elite sniper scout platoon. "We would put an item out there and watch it. If someone found the item, picked it up and attempted to leave with the item, we would engage the individual."
The Post reported that "Eugene Fidell, president of the National Institute of Military Justice, said such a baiting program ... raises troubling possibilities, such as what happens when civilians pick up the items. ... 'You might as well ask every Iraqi to walk around with a target on his back,' Fidell said." (Sept. 24, 2007)
James had asked to be classified as a conscientious objector following his training in Germany, but his request was ignored by his commander. Instead, he became a machine gunner. "Our unit’s job seemed to be more about targeting a largely innocent civilian population or deliberately attracting confrontation," he wrote in his deposition seeking asylum in Canada. "These citizens were almost always unarmed. In some cases the Iraqi victims looked to me like they were children." (Eugene Weekly, May 22)
In Iraq, Burmeister had been knocked unconscious and his face filled with shrapnel when his Humvee was hit by a roadside bomb. The shrapnel wounds left him with a traumatic brain injury, and he suffers from severe Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. His parents insist that he urgently needs medical and psychological help, not jail time.
His parents have waged an unceasing struggle for the Army to release him. They called on their representative, Peter DeFazio, to launch a congressional inquiry into James’s case, but have so far heard nothing. James' mother, Helen Burmeister, flew to Fort Knox in June, with help from anti-war ex-Colonel Ann Wright. Helen spoke directly to the base commander there, demanding that her son be discharged in lieu of a court martial. She then joined supporters from Veterans for Peace and Vietnam Vets Against the War demonstrating outside.
On July 8 the Army invited Helen to attend her son's court martial on July 16. This time both she and her husband Erich are going. They're determined to keep James out of jail. "I bought a one-way ticket," Erich told Workers World. "I'm not leaving without my son. If I have to sit outside the base and wait for him, I'll do it. Even if I have to go on a hunger strike, that's what I'll do. My son does not deserve another day in jail."
In an interview with Courage to Resist, Erich said: "[James] struggles with PTSD, yet he is quartered within earshot of the shooting range and tank training area, daily hearing the gunfire and explosions. He has been prescribed a dangerous cocktail of anti-psychotic drugs and sleep aids by Army doctors, while the command decides if they want to send him to prison, as a coward, a soldier who faced death, and followed orders to 'shoot to kill.' The cowards--George Bush and Dick Cheney, those in Congress and the generals with the blood on their hands--why are they the punishers instead of the punished?" (, May 12)
Supporters can contact the Fort Knox post commander, General Campbell, to demand a speedy discharge and no further punishment for James. Send email to, or call the Fort Knox public affairs office at 502-624-7451. Ask that they discharge PFC James Burmeister now so that he can get the help that he needs.
Articles copyright 1995-2008 Workers World. Verbatim copying and distribution of this entire article is permitted in any medium without royalty provided this notice is preserved. Workers World, 55 W. 17 St., NY, NY 10011

Support independent news

Since yesterday morning, the following community websites have updated:

Rebecca's Sex and Politics and Screeds and Attitude;
Cedric's Cedric's Big Mix;
Kat's Kat's Korner;
Betty's Thomas Friedman is a Great Man;
Mike's Mikey Likes It!;
Elaine's Like Maria Said Paz;
Wally's The Daily Jot;
Trina's Trina's Kitchen;
Ruth's Ruth's Report;

And Dane notes this from Team Nader:

15 state ballots by tomorrow midnight.

15 state ballots by tomorrow midnight. .

(Listen to my Saturday morning audio message here.)

Good morning.

This is Ralph Nader.

It is Saturday, July 19, 2008.

As you know, hundreds of our stalwart supporters are deployed all over the country this weekend -- on street corners, at malls, in front of post offices -- seeking to meet their commitment to put Nader/Gonzalez on 15 state ballots by tomorrow midnight.

On our way to 45 state ballots by September 20th.

To give millions of Americans the chance to vote for a candidacy that will shift the power from the corporations back into the hands of the sovereign people.

One week ago, we asked you to help us reach this goal by raising $60,000 by Sunday midnight to fund this current ballot drive.

As of this moment, we are well over $50,000 -- thanks to all of you.

Tomorrow night, we will raise our hands with you and declare victory in reaching this important milestone.

But first, we must get there.

We have less than two days to raise the difference.

Less than $10,000.

So, this is a special plea.

To those of you who have yet to contribute, now is the time.

Go to, and hit the contribute button.

To those of you who have donated less than $250.

Remember, every dollar we receive from you up to and including $250, the federal government will match it, dollar for dollar.

It will double.

If you give $100, the federal government will give Nader/Gonzalez another $100.

If you give $250, the federal government will give us another $250.

And to those of you who have already given $250.00 or more, remember --

You can give up the legal limit -- $2,300 per person.

So, go to now and give whatever you can.

You'll be fueling the hundreds of Nader/Gonzalez activists all over this country.

Let's drive this one past the finish line.

In the safest vehicle you know.

The Nader/Gonzalez campaign.

For peace.

For safety.

For justice.

In all their concrete manifestations.

Have a safe and happy weekend.

And thank you for your generous support.


Your contribution could be doubled. Public campaign financing may match your contribution total up to $250.

Contribute to the Nader for President 2008 campaign

The e-mail address for this site is

james burmeister
mark larabee
chris kenning
dee knight
tom bansee
dee knight