Wednesday, March 06, 2019

Some Tweets from US House Rep Ilhan Omar


  •  Pinned Tweet
    23 years ago, from a refugee camp in Kenya, my father and I arrived at an airport in Washington DC. Today, we return to that same airport on the eve of my swearing in as the first Somali-American in Congress. 🙏🏾
  •   Retweeted
    Who’s the “their”? I’ve known Ilhan and her family and “hate” is not remotely part of who they are.
  •   Retweeted
    This is so important. is a powerful moral voice at time when very few (even progressive) Democrats speak clearly and knowledgeably on foreign policy. She deserves unreserved support.
  •   Retweeted
    These guys just don’t get it. It’s not like got crowns & became queens. They knocked on doors till their feet & knuckles hurt, were questioned, challenged, stamped down. Still they rose. They’re not pawns.
  • Lowering these prices needs to be a priority for all of us! Proud to join ⁦⁩ and ⁦⁩ in this effort.
  •   Retweeted
    This entrepreneur wants you to change how you look at Black men wearing hoodies.
  •   Retweeted
    This week called Rep a terrorist & ignited a spike in death threats against her Rather than condemn such bigotry & violence & apologize for the things they openly said—the Right has instead found new ways to attack her for things she never said Utter hypocrisy😑
  •   Retweeted
    ISLAMOPHOBIA IS WRONG. That's it. No excuses, no exceptions. Linking all Muslims to terrorism is just as wrong as claiming that Jews control the world. If your response to the attacks on includes a "But..." take a moment to reflect. We can't condone or excuse bigotry.
  • Surviving war gives you perspective on life, I know to not be fearful and work to create a life that alleviates people from fear!
  •   Retweeted
    So now Ilhan is to blame for the 57% rise in anti-Semitic hate crimes last year and the deadliest mass shooting in US history? That’s really rich coming from someone who praised Bannon. Do yourself a favor and work on your Anti Blackness
  •  
  •   Retweeted
    Absolutely horrible to see this blatant Islamophobic smear. Bigotry and dog-whistles of all kind are unacceptable. Whether its anti-Semitism, Islamophobia, or any kind of hatred, we must call it out when we see it.
  •   Retweeted
    November 2017, 78% of Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District voted to make : - first Somali American - first Muslim refugee - first hijab-wearing Muslim woman elected to Congress - first woman of color to represent Minnesota in Congress.
  •   Retweeted
    . is a Member of Congress elected by the people of Minnesota. GOP leadership should immediately apologize for the outrageous racist attack on her that equates her with 9/11 terrorists. That is shameful. The picture below is the one Americans should know.
  •   Retweeted
    It’s long past time for an honest debate about these issues. Blaming for saying the same things in substance as supporters of the Netanyahu government do, only with the normative signs reversed, makes clear how far we are from an honest debate.
  • We must be willing to combat hate of all kinds while also calling out oppression of all kinds. I will do my best to live up to that. I hope my colleagues will join me in doing the same.
  • Being opposed to Netanyahu and the occupation is not the same as being anti-Semitic. I am grateful to the many Jewish allies who have spoken out and said the same.
  • People do every single day, and no I haven’t attached pro-Isreal Americans. I have questioned our politics! You want to paint every word I say as such, and that’s more of your problem.
  • I am in the Horn of Africa this weekend, proud to see peace prosper here and to be part of the first American delegation to Eritrea🇪🇷 in decades is one I am grateful for. I fight peace and justice because only those who experience the pain of war, know the joy of peace. ✊🏽
  • My Americanness is questioned by the President and the on a daily basis, yet my colleagues remain silent. I know what it means to be American and no one will ever tell me otherwise.
  • I am told everyday that I am anti-American if I am not pro-Israel. I find that to be problematic and I am not alone. I just happen to be willing to speak up on it and open myself to attacks.
  • I have not mischaracterized our relationship with Israel, I have questioned it and that has been clear from my end.
  • Our democracy is built on debate, Congresswoman! I should not be expected to have allegiance/pledge support to a foreign country in order to serve my country in Congress or serve on committee. The people of the 5th elected me to serve their interest. I am sure we agree on that!
  •   Retweeted
    This is the image of that the world should be seeing, not the hateful, anti-Muslim propaganda targeting her. We must condemn these attacks and reject religious bigotry without exception.
  •   Retweeted
    Mustafa Ayoubi was shot and killed by a man yelling anti-Muslim slurs at him. It's being prosecuted as a "road rage" incident because Indiana doesn't have hate-crime laws.
  •   Retweeted
    We’ve ended Shabbat to learn of the threats directed at , both in West Virginia and just outside of the Twin Cities. Violence is never acceptable - this is shameful. We know what it is to be targeted for our identities and our faith. We will always fight back.
  •   Retweeted
    The inhumane racism and death threats thrown at my friend Rep. are acts of terrorism. Period. We will overcome these threats to our humanity just like we've done time & time again. We are resilient. Ilhan - we got your back.