Saturday, April 05, 2014

The Vote to Declassify Interrogation Report (Senator Wyden)

This is from Senator Ron Wyden's office:





Wyden Statement on the Senate Intelligence Committee’s Vote to Declassify its Interrogation Report


Washington, D.C. – U.S. Senator Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) released the following statement after the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence voted to begin the process of declassifying the committee’s 6,200 page report on CIA interrogations:




"I believe the American people will be profoundly disturbed by the contents of this report.  Today, I joined my colleagues in voting to begin the process of declassifying the findings. Though I can’t provide any details until that declassification process is finished, I can say that the American people will see that much of what CIA officials have said about the effectiveness of coercive interrogations was simply untrue. I have spoken about the intelligence leadership’s culture of misinformation before and it continues to be a problem to this day. 


"I have also been asking questions publicly for years about the role that outside contractors played in the interrogation program and I hope the American people will soon get some answers to those questions. I urge the administration to move quickly to declassify this report. It is going to make many people uncomfortable, but getting the facts about torture out to the American people will keep these mistakes from being repeated and make our national intelligence agencies stronger and more effective in the long run."