CONTACT: Gretchen Andersen (212) 982-9699 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Wednesday: IAVA and Defense One Partner to Explore the Future of Veterans in America
Event brings together congressional, veteran, and media leaders with keynote speaker Montel Williams and premiere of Soledad O’Brien documentary
WHAT: Defense One and Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA) are partnering for a one-day event, “The New Battleground: Veterans,” focusing on the future of vets in America. From issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), to a public that still doesn’t completely understand what it means to be a veteran, this event will explore challenges and examine the way forward for the new greatest generation. Join us as we talk to experts, politicos, journalists and leaders about the critical challenges our veterans are facing.
Montel Williams, former television host of The Montel Williams Show and U.S. Marine Corps veteran, will be the keynote speaker for the event. Wrapping up the day will be the premiere viewing of award-winning journalist and CEO of Starfish Media Group Soledad O'Brien's documentary, "The War Comes Home," which follows the journeys of two young men who return home and the personal battles they must face to recover from the emotional effects of war.
Panel sessions include:
Veterans Care: Reforms for a 21st Century VA
Hiring Veterans: Deployed then Unemployed
22 a Day: Preventing Suicide Among Veterans
The 1 Percent: Bridging the Military-Civilian Divide
You can register here.
If you’re unable to attend the event, it will be livestreamed at DefenseOne.com.
- Paul Rieckhoff, Founder and CEO, IAVA
- Kevin Baron, Executive Editor, Defense One
- Montel Williams, Former Host of the The Montel Williams Show, U.S. Marine Corps Veteran
- Sen. John Walsh, D-Mont., Former Adjutant General of the Montana National Guard
- Rep. Tulsi Gabbard, D-Hawaii
- Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Fla., Chairman of the House Committee on Veterans Affairs
- Rep. Brad Wenstrup, R-Ohio, House VA Committee member
- Joseph Kernan, Vice Admiral, U.S. Navy, Ret.; Chairman, NS2 Serves; Vice President, Business Development, SAP National Security Services
- Tom Tarantino, Chief Policy Officer, IAVA
- Marine Cpl. Aaron Mankin, Veterans Advocate
- Phillip Carter, Senior Fellow, Counsel and Director of the Military, Veterans, and Society Program, Center for a New American Society
- David Wood, Senior Military Correspondent, The Huffington Post
- Leo Shane, Congressional Reporter, Military Times
- Mike Haynie, Executive Director, Institute for Veterans and Military Families, Syracuse University
- Barbara Humpton, Senior Vice President of Business Development, Siemens Government Technologies
- Zach Iscol, Founder and CEO, HirePurpose
- Fred Wellman, Chief Executive Officer and Founder, ScoutComms
- Molly O'Toole, Political Reporter, Defense One
- Mark Testoni, President, NS2 Serves; President and Chief Executive, SAP National Security Services
- Constance Sayers Witherspoon, President, Government Executive Media Group
- Dr. William Nash, Psychiatrist, Department of Defense and Department of Veterans Affairs
- Alex Horton, Writer, former Digital Engagement Official, Department of Veterans Affairs
- Mike Monroe, Division Administrator, Team Rubicon
- Former Rep. Patrick Murphy, MSNBC host of "Taking the Hill"
- Stephanie Gaskell, Deputy Editor, Defense One
Wednesday, July 30th, 2014
Registration at 7:15 am EST
Event from 7:45 am - 1:30 pm EST
National Press Club - Ballroom 529
14th St. NW, 13th Floor
Washington, DC 20045
Note to media: Paul Rieckhoff, Tom Tarantino, Aaron Mankin and others will be available for interviews. Email email@example.com or call 212-982-9699.
Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (www.IAVA.org) is the nation's first and largest nonpartisan, nonprofit organization representing veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan and has more than 270,000 Member Veterans and civilian supporters nationwide. Celebrating its 10th year anniversary, IAVA recently received the highest rating - four-stars - from Charity Navigator, America's largest charity evaluator.