Sunday, February 09, 2020

Some Tweets from David Sirota

David Sirota is the speechwriter for candidate Bernie Sanders.



  •  Pinned Tweet
    I told the NY Times that “my principles don’t change with the job I’m in” and I think that’s proven to be true over the last 20 yrs. It hasn’t been a perfect career — but I’ve tried hard to live my values. Thanks to everyone for the support. Onward.
  •   Retweeted
    For those interested, one of my last experiences in DC before I left was being yelled at and threatened by Democrats & CAP for trying to help progressive Democratic lawmakers stop the GOP bankruptcy bill that was written by the credit card industry
  •   Retweeted
    Love seeing these posts praising the movie “Parasite,” from the same people who can’t seem to comprehend Bernie Sanders’ critique of capitalism.
  •   Retweeted
    We may be on different sides of the primary and disagree but anyone saying is not a Democrat or wants to attack his record helping Dems and progressives needs to have several seats.
  • We have a media that is more outraged and scandalized by the tone of some critical tweets than by health insurance companies killing people and fossil fuel companies lighting the ecosystem on fire.
  • I prefer “Bernard Brother” instead of “goon,” thanks
  • Every pundit, politician, operative and twitter account that is shocked and scandalized that many folks are mad at an economy that’s crushing millions of people — they are all telling on themselves.
  • People are literally dying because they can’t afford healthcare, a climate crisis threatens all life on Earth, bankrolled politicians make these problems worse — and yet here on twitter dot com some folks get the vapors when they hear a few boos & see a few tweets of displeasure
  • Pete, 2018: “I, Pete Buttigieg, politician, do henceforth and forthwith declare, most affirmatively and indubitably, unto the ages, that I do favor Medicare for All” Pete, 2019: Gets bankrolled by pharma donors Pete, 2020: 👇🏻
  • If you want a good illustration of how money buys politicians, see Pete’s tweet, and then see what he’s saying today — and realize that in between, he got himself bankrolled by pharma donors
  • My work has resulted in the election of Democrats to public office. I have helped elect a Democratic congressman in a swing district, a Democratic governor in a red state & a Democratic legislator in a swing state & I’m working to elect a Democratic President. What have you done?
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go sledding in southeast Denver
  • I want to be extremely clear: I worked for House Dems, I helped elect a Dem congressman & a Dem governor. I'm literally married to a Dem state representative. I have done far more for the Democratic Party than 99.9% of the people trying to read me out of the party. Full stop.
  •   Retweeted
    So this is the world we live in where a person is unashamed to speak like this - Said @ a Republican vacancy committee meeting Saturday: “I just know that I wish Polis would drop dead and we’d have good Republicans,” added Lucille Strohl, also of Centennial.
  • I prefer Bernard Brother, thanks
  • The WaPo today decided to leave out almost everything did to lead the fight against the Iraq War. They tried to scandalize stuff with a nonsequitur quote from war proponent Dick Gephardt. But see the thread below for all the work Bernie did to try to stop that war.
  • I am supposed to pretend that all the lies & hatred thrown at me every day for all these years doesn't get to me. For the crime of tweeting C-Span videos, I'm depicted as a monster. I get that I'm just collateral damage in the larger effort to demonize progressives. But it sucks.
  • And yes, I began using Tweet Deleter to auto delete older tweets after I read this thoughtful piece by and this other WaPo piece. You can try to scandalize that, but I believe the arguments in these pieces make sense:
  • This reporter claimed that he contacted me for comment. That’s a demonstrable lie. He also wildly mischaracterized an old tweet. I then asked both him & his producer to correct their story and they then went on air and repeated what they knew to be lies. Surreal.
  •   Retweeted
    Here's the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget supporting Trump's proposed cuts to Social Security and Medicare. This is the organization Team Pete is relying on for fiscal analysis
  • Those who tweet stuff defending Bernie are depicted as "toxic trolls." Those who shitposted WMD lies to push America into a war that killed hundreds of thousands of people & labeled war opponents unpatriotic traitors -- they were given high-paid pundit gigs.
  •   Retweeted
    The people who tweet positive things about Bernie are derided by media outlets as “toxic trolls.” The people who blogged America into the Iraq War are given high-paid pundit gigs at those media outlets. Kinda makes you think...
  • Pete, 2018: "I, Pete Buttigieg, politician, do henceforth and forthwith declare, most affirmatively and indubitably, unto the ages, that I do favor Medicare for All" Pete, 2019, while becoming a top recipient of cash from pharma donors: 👇
  •   Retweeted
    Michael Bloomberg could pay his entire 2,000 person staff $1 million each, buy $3 billion of television ads...and he’d still have about $55 billion left over.
  • If you get the vapors because you tweeted something and then people tweeted facts proving that you were factually inaccurate, you aren't a victim -- you are a person who should log off.
  •   Retweeted
    "While being very clear in his political values, was actually pretty successful in working with people across the aisle" - what argued before he started taking billionaire cash
  • If you are a pundit expressing surprise and horror that many people in ' working-class movement are angry at the crushing status quo -- then you are telling on yourself.
  •   Retweeted
    I was listening to 's 2017 Axelrod podcast today and he talked about his 2000 Bernie Sanders essay. Notes Sanders works with Republicans better than some Democrats and says his "conviction politics" was more convincing to the other side.
  • . began the morning insisting Bernie didn't campaign hard enough against Trump in 2016, then Frum got humiliated, and so now he's ending the morning by saying his proof is that a few people momentarily booed at the convention. Hilarious.
  • You should watch and retweet this clip of explaining why we cannot allow to buy the Democratic primary
  •   Retweeted
    It's weird that there is more media anger and critical coverage of pro-Bernie tweeters than there was media anger and critical coverage of the neoconservatives who shitposted America into a war that killed hundreds of thousands of people.