Monday, March 14, 2005

Margot notes Georgia O'Keeffe for Women's History Month

Margot: "Art is a wicked thing. It is what we are." Who said that?

The woman I would like to note for Women's History Month, Georgia O'Keeffe.
In the art world there are many copiers but few originals and O'Keeffe, in life and in her art, was an original.

Living to the age of 98 ( 1887-1986) and painting over 900 works, O'Keeffe was fortunate to see her work appreciated.

O'Keeffe made a name for herself in the art world and left a legacy which wasn't a common feat for women when she started out. But she had the power of seeing not just what was there but what could be there. You can see it in her paintings. And you can hear it in her words, "When I was still a little girl, I used to think that since I couldn't do what I wanted to . . . at least I could paint as I wanted to, and say what I wanted to when I painted."

I think that's a great lesson in overcoming limitations that people try to place on us.

[Note: Post corrected for "Okeeffe" in the title which I spelled as "Okeeffee." What was I thinking? I have no idea. But the mistake was mine and not Margot's.]