Wednesday, January 01, 2020

Kat's Korner: The decade in music

Kat: The '10s were not a great decade for music.  There were years when I didn't think I'd be able to find ten worthy albums and there was even one year where I gave up and noted that I couldn't find ten worth praising so I'd just note what I could.

Looking back at the decade, I think there are 20 albums that truly stood out in real time and since.  Two artists on the list are no longer with us (Prince and Aretha Franklin).  There's a live album, there's an album that MOTOWN locked away in the vaults.  It's a mixed list.  I started with a list of 50 and whittled it down to 20.  I gnashed my teeth and banged my head throughout but I do believe these 20 albums represent the best of music for the decade.



1) Mavis Staples's LIVE IN LONDON.

mavis



2) Alicia Keys'  HERE.

alicia

3) Stevie Nicks' 24 KARAT GOLD.

stevie nicks

4) Chrissie Hynde's STOCKHOLM.
chrissie hynde

5) Cat Powers' THE WANDERER.
wanderer

6) Janet Jackson's UNBREAKABLE.

janet

7) Tori AmosUNREPENTANT GERADLINES.

tori

8) Sam Smith's THE THRILL OF IT ALL.
samsmith

9)  Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals' CALL IT WHAT IT IS.
benharper

10) PJ Harvey's LET ENGLAND SHAKE.
PJ Harvey's Let England Shake

11) Diana Ross' DIANA ROSS SINGS SONGS FROM THE WIZ.
diana2

12) Prince's ART OFFICIAL AGE.

prince

13) Aretha Franklin's ARETHA FRANKLIN SINGS THE GREAT DIVA CLASSICS.
aretha2

14) The Afghan Whigs' DO TO THE BEAST.

aw

15) Joss Stone's LP1.
Joss Stone LP1


16) Roberta Flack's LET IT BE ROBERTA: ROBERTA FLACK SINGS THE BEATLES.
roberta flack


17) Animal Collective's CENTIPEDE HZ.


animal collective



18) Radiohead's THE KING OF LIMBS.

The King of Limbs


19) Melanie's EVER SINCE YOU NEVER HEARD OF ME.
Ever Since You Never Heard Of Me

20) Coldplay's EVERYDAY LIFE.



Click here for my 2004 music piecehere for 20052006 in music2007 in musichere for 2008here  for my 2009 piece, here for my look at the 00 decadehere for my 2010 piecehere for my 2011 piece,  here for my 2012 piece, here for my 2013 piece, here for my 2014 piece, here for my 2015 piece, here for my 2016 piece. here for my 2017 piece, here for my 2018 piece, and here for my 2019 piece.