Friday, December 31, 2004

Democracy Now and Science And Politics

If this posts twice, I'll delete the earlier one. I'd blogged on Democracy Now!'s Thursday show earlier in the day but it's apparently one of those posts that's either not going to show or will pop up in its own good time.

Headlines for December 30, 2004
- Tsunami Leaves 5 Million Homeless
- Death Toll Expected to Top 100,000
- Bush Announces $35 Million Relief Effort
- Paper: Bush's Handling of Crisis "Inept Beyond Belief"
- Oxfam Warns Donors May Walk Away From Disaster
- U.S. Annually Gives 0.14% of Income to Relief Aid
- Four-Day Death Toll in Iraq Tops 100

As always, Headlines are LWR (listen, watch or read).

The rest of the show is listen or watch only. It's their year in review and it's the most comprehensive review of the year I've seen. (I did catch NPR's wrap up and felt it missed many things. I also felt that the weeklies I read earlier today did a better job than most of the mainstream printed pieces. But I think Democracy Now! does the best job yet.) And it's good that the other post is temporarily lost because when I wrote it, there was no transcript for this segment but now I see that there's a partial one.


Democracy Now!'s 2004 Year-In-Review
We look back at 2004 including the presidential race, the continuing war in Iraq, the U.S.-backed coup in Haiti, the Republican and Democratic National Conventions, the deaths of Ronald Reagan and Yasser Arafat, the catastrophic Indian Ocean tsunami and much more.
Voices include:
Ali Abunimah, Jean Bertrand Aristide, John Ashcroft, George W. Bush,Wesley Clark, Richard Clarke, David Cobb, David Cole, Howard Dean, Ani DiFranco, Steve Earle, Robert Fisk, Michael Franti, Whoopi Goldberg, Margaret Hassan, Seymour Hersh, Jeremy Hinzman, Dolores Huerta, Dahr Jamail, John Kerry, Dennis Kucinich, Lila Lipscomb, Rahul Mahajan, Jimmy Massey, Wangari Maathai, Zell Miller, Yanar Mohammad, Michael Moore, Bill Moyers, Ralph Nader, Barbara Olshansky, Condoleezza Rice, Randall Robinson, Arundhati Roy, Donald Rumsfeld,
Rev. Al Sharpton, Mordechai Vanunu, Maxine Waters.

Okay, this is mainly for Charlie, the only thing I'm seeing that you'll miss out on from only being able to read the transcript is the songs (Ani DiFranco, for instance). But what you'll get as a reader that people who only listened or viewed the segment will miss is links to to the segments these moments came from. Ani DiFranco is a brilliant artist. And if you want to get an idea of the kind of artist she is, you can visit her homepage: http://www.righteousbabe.com/.

Kara e-mailed me to thank me for linking to the great post from Science And Politics. So did Brent and Rob. Rob and Brent mentioned that after they read the post, they clicked to see something newer.

I hope everyone did that because I SCREWED UP.

Science And Politics is a site that a number of you have been mentioning. Including after we linked in the post on who wasn't on vacation. [See http://thecommonills.blogspot.com/2004/12/democracy-now-isnt-on-vacation.html.]

I meant to highlight the site (http://sciencepolitics.blogspot.com/) but in my rush, I just typed "Science And Politics" into a Yahoo search. I didn't notice that it was pulling up a post from the site and not the main page (http://sciencepolitics.blogspot.com/2004/11/definition-of-theory-as-in-theory-of.html).

I'm glad that the post was an excellent one (and if you haven't read it, click above because it's worth reading). But I had intended to highlight the site itself. I'm sure that most of you are net savy (more so than I am) and know if you reach an archived post, you can click on the main heading and it will take you to the most current post. But if there was any confusion, I apologize for my mistake.

I was just e-mailing someone about the Science And Politics web site when the power went out.
I lost the e-mail and had to start over when the power came back on. I wished I'd jumped to Kara, Rob and Brent's e-mail first.

Again, the post is excellent and makes you think but that was sheer luck because I was attempting to highlight the site (and the fact that it wasn't on vacation). So if anyone did check out that post, saw it was from November and didn't realize (or suspect) that I had made a mistake, please check out the site itself courtesty of the first Science And Politics link above.

I'll also add that Kat e-mailed to say she was working on a new post and it may go up in a few hours. If you missed her latest Kat's Korner, it's at
http://thecommonills.blogspot.com/2004/12/kats-korner-2004-going-down-2005.html
and you can read her earlier post at http://thecommonills.blogspot.com/2004/12/kats-korner-green-day-v-disney-kids.html.

To e-mail this site send to common_ills@yahoo.com. You can e-mail Kat at that address and it will be forwarded or send to kats_korner@hotmail.com to e-mail her directly.