Friday, December 31, 2004

Democracy Now! (and no, The Common Ills isn't on vacation)

Democracy Now! devotes the full show today to one topic.

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man: How the U.S. Uses Globalization to Cheat Poor Countries Out of Trillions
We spend the hour with John Perkins, a former respected member of the international banking community. In his book Confessions of an Economic Hit Man he describes how as a highly paid professional, he helped the U.S. cheat poor countries around the globe out of trillions of dollars by lending them more money than they could possibly repay and then taking over their economies.

At this point the episode is LW only. (Listen or watch.)

To those who e-mailed the site today asking if we were going on vacation, no we aren't.

As I noted in a post last night, the power went out (probably for ten minutes). I forgot to reset clocks and overslept. When I did get up the day was already well started.

We will be highlighting the Times' front page later today but when I read the story on Novak, that became my focus. (And consumed four hours of my time further delaying the first post of today.)