Thursday, May 05, 2005

Changes in The Nation online

While reading the current issue of The Nation (Al Gore cover, link takes you to the site, not that issue), I saw a notice today about changes in the online site. They've already changed online. (And possibly that's why Katrina vanden Heuvel wasn't on The Majority Report tonight? They already have the new issue available online.) To be lazy, I'm copying and pasting the e-mail that arrived this afternoon and not typing up the note from the print issue:

The next time you visit The Nation online, you'll see some new things that we wanted to tell you about. We've made major changes to the homepage and added some new features.
These changes, developed with the help of the award-winning design team Brown & Ryan, debut today.
We'll still offer selections from the magazine and all our regular web features. But we're adding a news wire that will spotlight overlooked but important stories on other, mainly progressive sites as well as RadioNation PodCasts, a Sites We Like section, and, for the first time, the ability to interact with the writers of our online blogs and commentaries. And we have many more changes in store as part of a slow but steady re-conceptualization of our online presence.
Please check us out and click below to let us know what you think of what we've done. We'd love the feedback and we'll publish a sampling of this reader mail in the coming weeks.

Myself? It's very visual but as a dyslexic, I won't claim that the changes (when I went to the site for the previous entry) didn't create a panic as I searched (in vain) for the archive button. (I clicked on the cover of the new issue and once taken to it, clicked the "issues" between "home" and the date of the current issue. I'm sure there's an easier way to find it.

I don't see Katrina vanden Heuvel's Editor's Cut or Ari Berman's Daily Outrage on the front page, but I've checked the permalinks we have for them (permalinks on the left, always on the left) and they still work. (KvH has a new photo as does Ari Berman who has had a hair cut since the old photo.) (I do like the photos, they're in color and they have bright backgrounds that are more inviting. Which isn't a slam on black & white photos. I love black & white photos. I just prefer the two photos that have been added here.)

I'm sure I'll get used to it as I play around on the web site more. It's more organized, or appears so. There are some articles (new issue) that I think we'll be interested in so hopefully there will be time to note them tonight.

Do yourself a favor and check out the new look to decide for yourself what you think.

The e-mail address for this site is common_ills@yahoo.com.