Saturday, October 05, 2019

Some Tweets from Rebecca Traister



  •  Pinned Tweet
    A good morning for reading suggestions to help process fury. Because I wrote it, I’ll start with my book, Good and Mad, about the history & political power of women’s anger, now in paperback (& on sale in hardcover). BUT WAIT THERE’S LOTS MORE:
  •   Retweeted
    last night someone walked around chinatown hitting homeless men in the head with a metal object while they were sleeping — 4 men are dead
  •   Retweeted
    Something for everyone tonight on at 7pm. talks the impeachment inquiry with , Gov. , author Rebecca Traister , and co-founder Alexandra Flores-Quilty

  • This has ALWAYS been the message, & it’s predicated on (early) hetero marriage as institution that organized power & labor, and the panic when that institution is reimagined or destabilized as central to women’s lives & worth. Anyway, it’s a good book:
  • I wrote a book, All the Single Ladies, that chronicles the history of this exact pattern of cultural messaging to women — you’re getting too educated/successful to get a man — in late 19th century, mid 20th century, and 2010s (hi Steve Harvey!)

  •   Retweeted
  •   Retweeted
    . on reporting ’s “Was It Worth It?” with
  • Not....peach costumes and pie! The breakdown of civic norms continues apace, I guess.

  •   Retweeted
    REPORTER: Have you seen enough evidence to vote to convict Donald Trump and remove him from office? ELIZABETH WARREN: “Yes.”



    1.   Retweeted
      Scoop: the Warren campaign has fired its national organizing director Rich McDaniel. "Over the past two weeks, senior campaign leadership received multiple complaints regarding inappropriate behavior," Kristen Orthman says. Full statements screenshotted

    2.   Retweeted
      The plan is to bore the public by drilling down on microfacts to claim that’s not what they’re doing.

    3. Please see also the work of :
    4. This has, in fact, been on my mind. But the history of women's outrage as a defining American story extends well before this election cycle.

    5. I am NOT OKAY I think I need to log off
    6. I mean...there’s a Le Creuset of frozen Han Solo! I am imagining talking to my cornbread batter: I love you. Cornbread batter: I know. BAM you get put in carbonite. WHAT IS THIS AND WHY DO I CARE WHEN THE WORLD IS FALLING APART
    7. I’m laughing so hard

    8.   Retweeted
      I know this all looks bad. But I'm still very grateful to all the dedicated political reporters who worked so hard to make sure that we wouldn't elect a woman who used a personal email account to conduct work business.
    9.   Retweeted
      Breaking: announced it's taking June v. Gee, basically the same as 2016 Whole Women's Health, when they ruled against clinic closure laws. The law hasn't changed. Clinics haven't changed. Only the Court make up has changed. Chilling for precedent and for .
    10.   Retweeted
      Kavanaugh and Gorsuch here will likely overturn Whole Women’s Health v. Hellerstedt, an extremely recent precedent from 2016. This near-inevitable decision should put to rest any remaining pretense that the Court is not a political institution.

    11.   Retweeted
      Sanders > Warren by that small of a margin is probably not as impt as Sanders + Warren being so much bigger than everyone else. The left ascending as Biden dips (and their donors can give again)
    12.   Retweeted
      With this new abortion case at SCOTUS, expect the GOP appointees to pretend they aren’t overturning the 2016 decision in Whole Woman’s Health, which said abortion restrictions need to be based in science or benefit patients. The only difference is Kennedy is gone.
    13. And I cannot stress this enough,
    14. That’s from this remarkable piece:
    15. Oh my god: