Thursday, July 08, 2010

I Hate The War

Connie is among those noting AFP's report that the Iraqi Parliament will hold a session (it's second, the first lasted less than 20 minutes) July 13th in order not to miss the deadline in the country's Constitution. She wonders if this is a surprise?

No. Tuesday's snapshot (and earlier) we noted Michael Jansen (Irish Times) providing an indepth overview of the process and including that "the post-election political process, as laid down in the constitution, has stalled. parliament, which was convened on June 14th for deputies to take the oath of office and remains in open session because it was unable to elect a speaker on that date. On July 14th, parliament is meant to name a president or three-man presidential council. But these posts cannot be filled until the shape of the new government is decided."

It is possible they could side-step the prime minister issue and name the council. However, Jalal Talabani wants to continue as president. Is he going to continue? If he does, it will be a result of a deal made. Meaning that for that position to be announced, other building blocks will have to be in order and they should already know who the prime minister pick is.

It is possible that they could say, "It will be one of these three" (and all three from the same coalition) and move along with the council.

But with Talabani's strong desire to remain president and the opposition on this from many others, if they're announcing that post, they may as well announce everything.

And this is all conjecture on my part. I'm guessing as anyone else could. My guess is no more right than anyone else's. But if I'm asked (and Connie wasn't the only one asking in e-mails) that's what I'd argue. If they can pick the president, then they know who gets to be prime minister (or, at the very least, have narrowed it down to a small number in the largest coalition).




It's over, I'm done writing songs about love
There's a war going on
So I'm holding my gun with a strap and a glove
And I'm writing a song about war
And it goes
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Oh oh oh oh
-- "I Hate The War" (written by Greg Goldberg, on The Ballet's Mattachine!)

Last week, ICCC's number of US troops killed in Iraq since the start of the illegal war was 4411. Tonight? 4412.

The e-mail address for this site is common_ills@yahoo.com.