Saturday, July 13, 2013

I Hate The War

The Southport Visiter reports:


The failure of military interventions in Iraq and Afghanistan have left the international community paralysed in the face of bloodshed in Syria, according to former foreign secretary David Miliband.
He said the "overall reckoning" in Iraq is "strongly negative", and admitted there would have been "no justification for war" in 2003 if the government had known there were no weapons of mass destruction.


Miliband is smart and knows that Iraq can't be airbrushed out so better to make it appear to be a lesson learned.

Is it a lesson learned? 

Maybe, maybe not.

But this is how New Labour tries to move beyond the Iraq debacle.

Ignoring it did not work. That was attempted and it all that did was allow a member of the Conservative Party to become prime minister.

As David Miliband prepares to leave politics to steer the International Rescue Committee, some may argue this is part of an attempt to sell war on Syria.  That is possible.  But, in that case, it would have been better to have made the speech earlier.

Maybe he did it because of the IRC?   An attempt to clean the slate?  If so, it's more than Blair did in any of his "Charity starts and endes with me" projects.




It's over, I'm done writing songs about love
There's a war going on
So I'm holding my gun with a strap and a glove
And I'm writing a song about war
And it goes
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Oh oh oh oh
-- "I Hate The War" (written by Greg Goldberg, on The Ballet's Mattachine!)


The number of US service members the Dept of Defense states died in the Iraq War is [PDF format warning] 4488.



The e-mail address for this site is common_ills@yahoo.com.