Saturday, May 22, 2021

Palestinian-American Lana Shehadeh Shares Her Experience in the West Bank ...

 


Palestinian-American Lana Shehadeh shares her experience about life in the West Bank with Marianne Williamson. President Biden has announced a ceasefire in the horrifying fighting between Israel and Hamas, obviously a very good thing. In the end however it’s merely the treatment of a symptom. The United States United States or any other country touting phrases about “peace and security” for both peoples, or even making titillating comments about “intense quiet diplomacy,” do not of themselves move us past the politics of the status quo. This time, in a way that feels different than every other time before, the status quo is clearly untenable. US Congresspeople have stood in the well of the House to discuss the rights of the Palestinians. Congresspeople have introduced legislation to withhold military support from Israel. In the United States and around the world there is a growing consensus that when it comes to the systemic oppression of Palestinians, enough is enough. To be clear, I believe Israel has a right to exist. But I also believe – as an American, as a Jew, and as a human being – that the right to nationhood rightfully belongs equally to the Palestinians. I am moved by neither right-wing nor left-wing propaganda to turn my back on that position. In the words of “A Course in Miracles”, “God does not give us victory in battle. He lifts us above the battlefield.” There is a quote from Arundhati Roy that I love: “Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.” I believe that world indeed is possible, and where there is enough love it is inevitable. “A Course in Miracles” also says that miracles occur where total communication is given and received. The video I’ve posted is the first in a series of interviews I’m doing in which I feel total communication is given and received. And with what Lincoln described as “malice toward none and charity for all.” The people who tell the truth, but with love, are my beacons. I listen to them and I follow them. And I am glad to share their voices with you