It's a good starting point. It's where I started with them. Back on July 11th, C.I. posted that video here and I thought, "Damn." The song was up beat but not like anything I'd heard on the radio or on SPOTIFY. It was unique in every way. The rhythm. The production. Especially the vocals.
Every Saturday since, C.I.'s posted at least one -- sometimes two -- videos by The Womack Sisters. And it's obvious, they have the artistic goods. Their album came out August 14th although I didn't get mine until a week or so after. I bought it on vinyl and that's the version I'm reviewing.
It's 11 strong songs.
How many miles do I have to burn
How many corners do I have to turn
How many miles do I have to burn
How many corners do I have to turn
How many miles do I have to burn
Just to keep my place
Just to keep my place
Just to keep my place
That's a song about the sisters' time as UBER drivers. But it's quite a bit more than that. It's also a song about conviction and determination and struggle. And those voices take you to a place few ever do.
I know I'm not a monster
’Cause I used to have a love in my heart
In my heart
I know I'm not a monster
'Cause I used to have a love in my heart
In my heart
In my heart
I know I'm not a monster
'Cause I used to have a love in my heart
In my heart
You used to send my soul reeling
I still remember the feeling
But since you left me cold
My heart has turned to stone
Feels like I’ve never known feeling
I still remember the feeling
But since you left me cold
My heart has turned to stone
Feels like I’ve never known feeling
I know I'm not a monster
’Cause I used to have a love in my heart
In my heart
I know I'm not a monster
'Cause I used to have a love in my heart
In my heart
’Cause I used to have a love in my heart
In my heart
I know I'm not a monster
'Cause I used to have a love in my heart
In my heart
"Monster" is another track that takes you along, pulls you in, makes you want to sing along.
"They're life experiences," they told KUVO when they discussed the songs that made the album. And the album feels very lived in, very real. It's authentic.
Just listening to "You Went Away Too Long" knocks me over with the vocal power -- the way they blend, the way they shade, they really know what they're doing.
And now for the part of the review where I note their personal history. Womack & Womack were their parents, mother Linda Womack (now known as Zeriiya Zekkariyas) is the daughter of Sam Cooke. Those are some strong roots. But they are their own group, they are their own sound. And they are truly amazing. Check out their lp debut THE WOMACK SISTERS if you want to be amazed.