Thursday, April 24, 2014

"A Letter From Johnny Carson" (Mike Palecek)

In the US, Mike Palecek and  Chuck Gregory host a once a week radio program entitled The New American Dream Radio Show on Blog Talk Radio.  


I am an American. I have big dreams.

And like the rest of us, 
I have been damaged beyond repair by television. 

Look at me. I am a mess.

I grew up on TV and eating ... ice cream ... ice cream bars ... ice cream sandwiches ... sitting on the floor of our home on Sixth Street in Norfolk, Nebraska ... watching TV. I weighed four hundred pounds by the time I was in fourth grade. No problem. Get bigger pants.

I knew my ice cream.

And I knew all about Barney, Goober, Andy, Gunsmoke, I Dream Of Jeannie, My Favorite Martian.

Who can forget Bonanza — the episode Hoss And The Leprechauns. A classic. Like Grapes of Wrath.

We always watched Johnny Carson, of course. He was from Norfolk, graduated from Norfolk High School. Hometown boy who done good. Very good. ...


For the rest of the piece go here: