Saturday, December 25, 2021

Happy Holidays from Ed and Onlychatter.com!

 

Happy Holidays!

Happy holidays from writer,  intermittently committed kalimba player, and award-winning podcaster Edward Champion! I hope that you are staying safe in these unprecdented times.

In case you missed it, I started a new nonfiction podcast called How the World Made Us. The new show represents an entirely new direction for me and has been described by advance reviewers as a cross between 60 Minutes and Billy on the Street.  It has received raves from dozens of listeners.  It's an empathy-driven mix of investigative journalism, comedic essay, a bit of playful muckraking, and tons of interviews.

You can listen to the first two episodes for free. The first episode, "Labor Shortage," involves me talking with job recruiters, buskers, hardscrabble entrepreneurs, the homeless, and various other misfits in New York to discover how everyone is faring. The second episode, "Schizo Dad," investigates the plight of a kind-hearted man with disabilities who was let go from a bagel shop for no good reason at all and reveals quite a good deal about the present state of labor.  And today we released a third episode, "The Meaning of Santa," in which I braved the thronged streets of Manhattan to chat with dozens of SantaCon revelers. This 49 minute show includes professional Santas, city workers, expert psychiatrists, street philosophers, and even one of the SantaCon founders himself!

Additionally, I have a free-form podcast called Notes from a Brooklyn Bunker in which I talk extemporaneously about all and sundry. This was a secret ephemeral podcast that I created last year. I have revived the show and am releasing one to two new episodes each week.

The new flagship podcast and Notes represent part of a new venture called onlychatter.com -- a bold experiment in indie podcasting (as well as a somewhat less scandalous riff on another infamous site!). For the price of buying me a pint at happy hour, I am offering full access to this swiftly growing archive (presently standing at 40 podcasts), which will include all new podcasting material that I make between now and February 28, 2022. Should we reach a baseline number of subscribers, then I will carry on in March with a subsequent season. My hope here is to demonstrate that micropayments can be used to support quirky and independent journalism. I've been truly humbled by the effusive response I've had so far to this new material.

You can listen in full to the first two episodes of How the World Makes Us for free at onlychatter.com.  If you've enjoyed what I have done in the past, please consider becoming a member.  Or listen to the first two episodes to get a sample of the new and unique approach I'm taking here. It's $7 to subscribe. And you'll have instant access to forty podcasts. (If you can't, no worries!  I know times are tough for many!)

In the meantime, from the bottom of my heart, please stay safe, wear masks, and get boosted. The next few months are going to be rough, but we will make it through this! Thanks, as always, for listening!

Happy holidays to you and yours!

Ed
 

ed@edrants.com
Brooklyn, NY