Monday, February 03, 2014

Stalingrad: 70th Anniversary

Francis A. Boyle is an attorney and a professor of international law.  He's also the author of many books including, most recently, United Ireland, Human Rights and International Law.   Below is a poem he's noting (I believe written by him).



Stalingrad: 70th Anniversary

We got off the boat at the docks
Walking into town I was asked
Could I lay some flowers
At the War Memorial
On the Banks of the Volga?
 
Of course I said yes.
Honored and pleased
My Dad had fought the Japanese
At Saipan, and  Tinian and Okinawa
 
The Nazis were not his war
But We were Allies
In the Noble Cause to Defeat Fascism
 
As I neared the Statue
On the Banks of the Volga
A young Komsomol Girl appeared
All dressed in white
carrying a wreath of roses
 
A band was playing
Joyful, not somber
The Town Elders assembled
 
The sun was shining
a most beautiful day
On the Banks of the Volga
 
I lay  my   wreath of roses
To the Defenders and Victims at Stalingrad
And bowed my head in silent reflection
 
If the Soviets had not held at Stalingrad
All Europe today would be speaking German
And saluting: Heil Hitler!
 
Deutschland, Deutschland
But not Uber Alles
My Dad was smiling
On the Banks of the Volga
 
Fab
 
 
Francis A. Boyle
Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Ave.
Champaign, IL 61820 USA