Tuesday, November 21, 2017

John Conyers needs to resign

John Conyers is a member of the House of Representatives.  His voting record is near flawless. 

He can be very personable and I love John Conyers.  I've had nothing but warm encounters with him.

So it's not easy to say this but he needs to resign.

I heard a headline or two last night but wanted to look into myself.  And I was hoping when I did, I'd find out it was a misunderstanding.  But it's not.

He's harassed a woman.

This can't be tolerated.

I feel awful for John because he's going to have a bad spot on his record now and he's too old and has too little time to atone for it publicly.

But John's record getting a bad spot on it?

That's too bad for John.

Harassment is illegal. 

It is wrong.

And John chose to do it and now he has no choice but to pay for his actions.

He can't be allowed to remain in Congress for that reason alone (and let's not even get into the use of taxpayer funds to pay off a harassment settlement).

I love John.

I don't know why he did what he did.

But he did it and the cost has to be resigning.

And nonsense of "I settled to put an end to it" -- uh, no.  As a member of Congress you have to be a little bit better than that.  Apparently not much, but a little bit.