Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Some Tweets from Rebecca Traister


  •  Pinned Tweet
    A good morning for reading suggestions to help process fury. Because I wrote it, I’ll start with my book, Good and Mad, about the history & political power of women’s anger, now in paperback (& on sale in hardcover). BUT WAIT THERE’S LOTS MORE:
  •   Retweeted
    Replying to 
    It's not just this taking up of space. It's also the siphoning of resilience that was formed in this carved out space.
  • I have conveyed everything that's in this thread to the book's publishers and to my own editors at Simon & Schuster, and have asked for my recipe to be removed from future editions. But that doesn't fix anything. I'm very sorry. 9/9
  • These are questions I ask of my subjects all the time. I asked them of a conservative politician in a long reported piece this week. Today I'm asking them of myself and the answers aren't good. I did it because it was easy & I didn't think about who it would benefit or harm. 8/9
  • This was a case of me exercising exactly that unconscious ease: I was asked; I didn't ask questions; I just said yes, to be accommodating! and helpful!...but to whom? and to whose benefit? 7/9
  • I write a lot about privileged white women and the total unconscious ease with which we take up space that's not ours--space that was in fact often carved out by people furious in part at our abuses of power and privilege. 6/9
  • In her piece,  describes the challenge of imputing ill motives on "well-intended white women" who feign ignorance; I realize how easy it is to fall back on that myself and I don't want to do that here. 5/9
  • I was distressed to learn that I was part of a project that didn’t credit or acknowledge her work, but her essay made me think not just about the fact that I was a participant in appropriation. It also made me consider how passive and easy it was for me to participate. 4/9
  • When I read  Medium essay this morning I was livid, in large part because the issues she raises strike at the heart of issues of race, privilege and appropriation that I write about at length in Good & Mad. 3/9
  • Last spring, I was asked to contribute a recipe, because of my book Good & Mad; the publisher of this book and my publisher share a parent company. I agreed to submit a recipe, and they excerpted my book. I didn't think anything more of it. 2/9
  • A thread in response to this powerful piece of criticism and analysis from . She's writing about a book called Rage Baking, to which I was a contributor: 1/9
  • Everyone should read this brilliantly written and enraging piece. (A recipe of mine is in the book)
  •   Retweeted
    The new is equal parts a look at Susan Collins, and a look at how people toe the power/victimhood line in 2020
  •   Retweeted
    Betsy DeVos was confirmed in a tie breaker. If Bloomberg hadn’t boosted & funded GOP Senator Pat Toomey to victory, we could have prevented Betsy DeVos from becoming Education Secretary.
  •   Retweeted
    The “laggards should drop out” says a candidate with literally zero delegates
  •   Retweeted
    Want to name some truth: is modeling what accountability should look like in electoral politics. is demanding what is required in this moment & I’m grateful for their leadership in this space. No matter who your candidate is, read the piece. 👆🏽
  •   Retweeted
    “No matter your candidate of choice, I urge the political left...to take full advantage of the moment our movements have created & build a durable accountability mechanism for political leaders w/o delay.”
  • Wow what a wacky and ill-advised morning choice I just made! (Tweeting About The Primary). Check out the profile I just published which is about Maine Senator Susan Collins and therefore Not About The Primary:
  • As I said in an earlier tweet, I don’t blame this just on sexism (it was mostly a “little treat” joke) but for future: subbing one woman in for another doesn’t make it NOT sexism.
  • It’s true that she received some glowing coverage. So did Bernie! That doesn’t make it less true that they both have had to fight bigger media narratives, some degree of pretend invisibility next to Buttigieg, Biden & Bloomberg plus frequent claims that they are unelectable.