Monday, March 21, 2005

Why are you at the rally? "The seeds had to be planted. The ground had to be watered. That's what this protest is about."

Gail, 41: "My husband asked me that same question this morning. He wanted to know why I was going. I'll tell you what I told him. No, I don't think this protest will end the war. I do think it is a step and that each step brings us that much closer to ending the war. I wasn't expecting there to be this large of a turnout. And I've spoken to two people already who've told me this was their first protest. I've got a garden in back of the house and it's easy when the squash comes up in summer to just think, 'Oh there's the squash.' But it didn't just pop up. The seeds had to be planted. The ground had to be watered. That's what this protest is about. And it is one step along the path that will force Bush to bring the troops home."

That's from The Third Estate Sunday Review's 'At the rallies, we ask, "Why Are You Here?"'
article featuring the voices of eighty-one people who attended rallies this weekend. [Disclosure, I helped with that article.] If you haven't read it, you should. There are e-mails saying thanks for linking to Democracy Now's coverage of the protests (click here and here) but asking if there's any other coverage. I'd mentioned this article at least once on Sunday and again today. But in case you haven't checked it out, we'll do one more highlight from it.

[E-mail address for this site is common_ills@yahoo.com.]