Thursday, April 30, 2015

Japan's Militarist Abe before US Congress: Unacceptable, Insulting and Rejected!

Francis A. Boyle is an attorney and a professor of international law.  He's also the author of many books including, most recently, United Ireland, Human Rights and International Law.  Below he offers his reaction to the remarks of the Japanese Prime Minister:




Seventy years ago today my Father and his Marine Corps Comrades-in-Arms were fighting and dying on Okinawa. RIP. I just heard on the BBC  Japan’s Militarist Prime Minister Abe addressing the United States Congress. Abe deliberately refused to use the word “apologize.”  This is unacceptable and insulting and therefore his “condolences” are  rejected!

Professor Francis A. Boyle Jr.  



Stalingrad 
We got off the boat at the docks
Walking into town I was asked
Could I lay some flowers
At the War Memorial
On the Banks of the Volga?

Of course I said yes.
Honored and pleased
My Dad had fought the Japanese
At Saipan, and  Tinian and Okinawa

The Nazis were not his war
But We were Allies
In the Noble Cause to Defeat Fascism

As I neared the Statue
On the Banks of the Volga
A young Komsomol Girl appeared
All dressed in white
carrying a wreath of roses

A band was playing
Joyful, not somber, but subdued
The Town Elders assembled

The sun was shining
a most beautiful day
On the Banks of the Volga

I lay  my   wreath of roses
To the Defenders and Victims at Stalingrad
And bowed my head in silent reflection

If the Soviets had not held at Stalingrad
All Europe today would be speaking German
And saluting: Heil Hitler!

Deutschland, Deutschland
But not Uber Alles
My Dad was smiling
On the Banks of the Volga

Fab


 
 
 
Francis A. Boyle
Law Building
504 E. Pennsylvania Ave.

Champaign, IL 61820 USA