Friday, November 23, 2018

Raining


Raining
Raining for days on end
Staying inside again
Making up lists
Of things to do
When the rain ends
The Children are restless
They played all their games
Again and again and again
If we knew anyone
We could call up a friend
But it's raining
Raining, raining, raining

-- "Raining," written by Carly Simon, first appears on her boxed set CLOUDS IN MY COFFEE

This summer, while temperatures often reached over 150 degrees Fahrenheit, Iraq faced a water shortage.  As winter approaches, there's a different problem: Flooding.


Idris Okuducu (INFOSURHOY) reports:

Flash floods in northern Iraq have killed at least nine people, including women and children, and severely damaged thousands of homes, officials said Friday.


According to local health and security authorities, heavy flooding inundated the town of Al-Shirqat in Saladin province northwest of Baghdad following days of heavy rainfall in the area.




At least nine?  Iraq's Ministry of Health has already updated the death toll to 9.

10 killed, 22 others wounded in floods in Iraq - MoH (I.F)






It's gonna rain
It's gonna rain down tears
Of heartaches and fears
It's gonna rain
It's gonna rain I know for sure
'Cause you don't reach for me no more
It's gonna rain
It's gonna rain down tears
Of heartaches and fears

-- "Clouds," words and music by Nickolas Ashford & Valerie Simpson, first recorded by Chaka Khan for her NAUGHTY album



Several people have reportedly died due to flash floods in Shirqat town in Salahadin province.



MENAFN notes, "[Mohammed al-]Jubouri added that the unexpected torrents left panic among families in the villages and forced them to go up the roofs of their houses, while several more were able to evacuate their residents."



There's no right or wrong
I'm not here to blame
I just want to be the one
Who keeps you from the rain
From the rain
And it looks like sunny skies
Now that I know you're alright
Time has left us older and
Wiser, I know I am
'Cause I think of us
Like an old cliche
But it doesn't matter
'Cause I love you anyway
Come in from the rain

"Come In From The Rain," written by Carole Bayer Sager and Melissa Manchester, Diana Ross recorded it for her BABY IT'S ME album.


The flooding was in northern Iraq and not just one village or town or even just one province.  Nor did the flooding just start today.  Wasit Province has been suffering from flooding for days now.



  1. PM Abdul Mahdi warns of flooding, as rains continue
  2. Iraqi Army Aviation deliver aid to villages in Wasit cut off by the floods



* Several dead, thousands flee homes in Iraq floods  Arab News * Seven dead in floods north of Iraqi capital  Malay Mail Full coverage




Hey, window pane
Do you remember
How sweet it used to be?
When we were together
Everything was so grand
Now that we've parted
There's one sound that I just can't stand
I can't stand the rain
Against my window
Bringing back sweet memories
I can't stand the rain
Against my window
Because here's not here with me

-- "I Can't Stand The Rain," written by Ann Peebles, Don Bryant and Bernie Miller, Tina Turner recorded the song for her PRIVATE DANCER album.


And Cindy Sheehan and Jody Watley updated: