Saturday, May 17, 2014

I Hate The War

Coward?

Are we really going to comment on something that ridiculous?

Election season is upon us and it is a scorched earth territory because that's all the politicians know how to supply these days.

So you're told who to vote against and never who to vote for (as in: "____ will do this so vote for her/him").

There's a lot to weigh in on but 'coward'?

People can say whatever they want, we do have free speech in this country.

And people should speak in their own voices.

But you having a right to call someone a "coward" doesn't mean it's a winning strategy.

In fact, it's the sort of strategy that can backfire.

It can seem funny and cute to a certain segment but to a wider segment it can seem out of bounds.

For example, this is how we want to run elections in this country?  By insulting people as being "cowards"?

There's a level of offense in the e-mails because, in this case, certain elements of the Democratic Party are calling a veteran a "coward."

I think it's an offensive remark to make about anyone.

And that the name calling says more about the person making the attacks than it does about the person being attacked.

Again, these sort of remarks come with a potential backlash and say more about the attacker than they do about the person being attacked.

We addressed the issue in general terms and that's al we're going to say about it.  Because it's an Iraq War veteran being insulted, there's a push for us to address it.  Again, I think calling someone a "coward" as a campaign move is pretty disappointing (to put it mildly).  We noted the topic, hopefully we're done with it.


It's over, I'm done writing songs about love
There's a war going on
So I'm holding my gun with a strap and a glove
And I'm writing a song about war
And it goes
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Na na na na na na na
I hate the war
Oh oh oh oh
-- "I Hate The War" (written by Greg Goldberg, on The Ballet's Mattachine!)


The number of US service members the Dept of Defense states died in the Iraq War is [PDF format warning] 4489.

The e-mail address for this site is common_ills@yahoo.com.